American Cancer Society offices are always bustling with activity! Our local offices are open to the public and are the center for our support in communities nationwide. Activities conducted there include connecting local cancer patients with programs and services, planning and coordinating fundraising activities and events, and promoting the Society within the local community. As a Community Office Volunteer, you get to choose the activities you want to do in your local American Cancer Society office.
- Nationwide opportunities available.
Short-term volunteer opportunities available. Long-term volunteer opportunities available. Opportunities take place during regular business hours, Monday through Friday.
Orientation training and onsite training are required and provided.
- You can select volunteer tasks that interest you, that you want to learn more about, and that you enjoy.
- Our staff will train you and provide support to help you be successful.
- This volunteer opportunity also has flexible scheduling to allow you to help out during the week when it works for your schedule.
- It is a great way to learn and develop new job skills while helping others.
- You get to build relationships with Society staff and other volunteers, and make a difference in your local community.
Individual and group volunteer opportunities are available and may be customized based on volunteer interests and skills.
Community Office Support Volunteers assist local American Cancer Society offices in a variety of ways, including
- helping with answering phones;
- taking messages and transferring calls;
- opening and sorting mail and faxes;
- organizing office spaces and files;
- greeting and assisting office visitors and volunteers;
- organizing materials and assembling packets;
- folding and sorting T-shirts;
- helping cancer patients with wigs and head coverings;
- and helping with patient resource referral and navigation.
- A background check may be required for certain tasks and opportunities.
- Volunteers should be comfortable interacting with others and able to follow simple directions.
- A Volunteer Service Acknowledgment must be signed.